Children of all ages deserve access to high-quality eye care that can improve their performance in school and help them see clearly. At Eye and Contact Lens Center, our optometrist in Kirkland, WA, wants to help your child find relief from eye disorders, improve their vision, and feel better with the help of pediatric eye care! Below is everything you need to know about our pediatric eye care services.
What Is Pediatric Eye Care?
Pediatric eye care focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of eye conditions in children. Our optometrist can provide comprehensive pediatric eyecare services, including vision screenings, testing, evaluations, treatments, and management of various eye diseases or disorders. We understand that children’s eyes are special because they are constantly developing and changing. That is why our staff takes extra care to ensure your child’s comfort and safety during exams.
What Are Some Common Pediatric Eye Problems?
Some common pediatric eye problems include:
- Amblyopia (lazy eye): This is a common childhood condition in which one eye is weaker than the other, resulting in decreased vision.
- Strabismus: This refers to when the eyes are not properly aligned and point in different directions.
- Refractive Errors: Refractive errors are vision conditions caused by the eye not focusing light correctly, resulting in blurry or distorted vision. Common refractive errors include myopia (nearsightedness) and hyperopia (farsightedness).
- Eye Muscle Imbalances: This occurs when one or more of the muscles around the eye are out of balance, causing one eye to drift inward or outward.
When Should I Bring My Child to the Eye Doctor?
It is recommended that children receive an eye exam at six months, by age three, and again around the start of school. Regular vision screenings are important for detecting any vision problems that may affect your child’s development and academic performance. Our optometrist will assess your children’s eyesight and determine if any corrective measures are necessary. In addition, some signs you need to bring your children in for an earlier check-up include:
- Complaints of headaches or eye strain
- Tilting their heads to read
- Squinting when looking at objects
- Avoiding close-up activities like reading and writing
If you notice any of these signs, schedule an appointment with our optometrist as soon as possible.
Schedule Pediatric Eye Care Today!
At Eye and Contact Lens Center, we strive to provide the highest quality of pediatric eye care for children in Kirkland, WA. Our experienced optometrist will ensure your child receives the best care possible. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!